Thursday, November 11, 2010

The red poppy is pinned to my heart (Remembrance Day)

Nov. 11th, 2010 (Remembrance Day)

Did your red poppy pinned to your heart successfully hid blood on your hands?

I am walking to my university library to escape the all-day-rain. It is November 11th today. Remembrance day. Supposedly one to remember the war (1st World War) that was supposed to be “the war that ended all wars.”

If all these water drops falling from the dark sky – where the havens are supposedly – where human tears, that heavy rain I am walking through today is well timed. After all, in our supposedly random universe, it could be sunny day today or maybe one with just a little sprinkle from the sky.

I walk, hooded. Do I look like a pious monk or sinister assassin?, I wonder. I am hooded, and I do look at my feet. But it is not because of my shame. I just want to avoid puddles and keep my socks dry. After all I wear sandals. No, I am not mimicking Christ. I just love sandals.

I walk by the third red poppy, lost by others, laying on the sidewalk and drenched by that rain. “Rain of our communal tears?” – a though sparks in my brain. Since I have to look down in order to avoid the puddles, I can not avoid seeing my own red poppy pinned to my jacket - men made, organic fiber, fair trade jacket from trendy Mountain Co-opp. No, I am talking about the red poppy here. It is the jacket - stupid.

I am walking in the rain. The spark-though ignites an arc of thoughts and one more “Bolek's Gold though” is spit out off my brain:

“We all would like to have all sociopaths / psychopaths behind the bars but aren't we actually the one as a whole. BoWe_2010”

Inside the safe heavens – read: any place at the University that has a roof – I google “ psychopaths” and “sociopath” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy) to check validity of my recent enlightenment. It appears, I am correct.

It is almost one hundred years since the men-kind, shocked and ashamed with his own inhumanity, proclaimed the latest war of his, “the war that will end all wars.” In order not to betray his own pledge the men-kind pinned the red poppy to his heart and then .. stepped into the usual business: WW2, Colonial War, Cold War, Holly War, Just War, Humanitarian War and the most insane of all wars – the mother of all wars – the War to end the Wars.

Bolek's nut ! you may declare. Excuse me! What about the following: “Persistent lying or stealing ; Apparent lack of remorse or empathy for others ; Cruelty to animals -- especially human animals (my own addition to this definition) ; Poor behavioral controls — expressions of irritability, annoyance, impatience, threats, aggression, and verbal abuse; inadequate control of anger and temper ; A history of childhood conduct disorder ; Recurring difficulties with the law ; Promiscuity ; Tendency to violate the boundaries and rights of others ; Aggressive, often violent behavior; prone to getting involved in fights ; Inability to tolerate boredom ; Disregard for right and wrong ; Poor or abusive relationships ; Irresponsible work behavior ; Disregard for safety.” You See! A sociopath. I was right.

Copyright 2010 by Bolek Wesolowski

No comments:

Post a Comment